Receipe for Chicken osso bucco with roasted garlic sauce
- 6 chicken thighs-organic with skin
- 2 carrots
- vidalia onion-sliced 1 large or 2 small
- 2 bulbs fresh garlic-prepared for roasting by tipping
- Rosemary, thyme, parsley chopped
- 1 bulb (small) Fennel-sliced
- approx a cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup or more dry white wine
Instructions1. Prepare chicken by rinsing, drying and seasoning with salt, pepper and your favorite combination of italian dry herbs. Roll chicken on both sides in this herb mixture. Drizzle with a little ev olive oil.
2. Soak clay pot in cold water for 15 minutes.
3. When ready, make a bed of veggies using the onions, fennel, carrots and 2 bulbs of garlic with the tips cut off. Place chicken thighs on top of all this.
Set them up nicely on the bed of veggies and add chicken broth to cover veggies but not covering chicken, add the balsamic and all the fresh herbs and spices, salt and pepper to taste. Optional add white wine also. Do not let the liquid go as high as the chicken or it will not brown it will boil.
4. Cover pot and bring to oven sitting on middle rack. Turn over to 220 degrees C. Do not preheat, clay pot goes into a cold oven!
5. Let cook approximately 45 minutes -1 hour , then check , open pot with 2 heavy gloves , carefully and away from your face and take off.
At this point if the broth is simmering and bubbly but the skin is not brown, cook more without putting the top back on.
This should take another 10 minutes to brown. Make sure the broth is not covering the skin or it will not brown.
6. After 10 minutes it should be brown, depending on your oven if not, turn it up to 450 until it does, without the cover. When nice bubbly and brown take it out and put on top of stove.
Remove chicken pieces to a wooden board and strain out the veggies from the sauce. Pour the sauce into a gravy de-fatter. Pour now into a small gravy sauce pan on top of stove, eliminating the fat. Purée some of the roasted garlic , carrot and veggies ( like 1/2 of them) into the gravy pot. Adds lots of flavour.
7. Stir the cornstarch into a little bit of cold water, like 1 tablespoon to 3 or 4 tbls water, stir into gravy, whisking till you get desired thickness, it will boil , then lower the heat and let simmer. You can add more chicken broth as you go along. Then add to the gravy some chopped fresh parsley....this is like a gremolata because you already have the roasted garlic simmering in the pan.
8. Slice the chicken and serve with the roasted garlic and vegetable gravy. Also can add the rest of the cooked veggies to plate.