Wednesday 29 April 2015

Y as in Yoiking

A yoik is a traditional Sami form of song.

The old Sami singing style is said to be the oldest musical form in Europe. Yoiking has not always been appreciated as a form of music, however. At one time it was not even called music.

Traditionally, yoik usually have short lyrics or no lyrics at all and is traditionally chanted a cappella, but joiks nowadays may be accompanied by a drum (though not a Sami drum which is used for ceremonial purposes only) or other musical instruments.

Jon Henrik's emotional & powerful original yoik pulls heartstrings on Sweden's Got Talent:



Are you still with me, my dear friend,
Though I no longer see you?
Are you still here on earth,
As you are in my heart?
I lie here and ponder,
It's desolately quiet around me.
Tears break out and fall,
With the thought of you.

An angel that was forgotten here,
Have now got his wings.
Where do you fly now, my angel?
Where do you fly now?

Are you flying through the pearly gates?
Or the end of the world?
Are you flying next to me?
Or am I all alone now?

Wherever you are now, my friend.
Wherever the road leads you.
Promise me you'll wait there,
Until I meet you.

I hope you're happy now.
As I was with you.
And the pain you've suffered,
I hope it's forgotten.

Fly freely, my dear friend.
You are free now.
And until we meet again,
Farewell, my angel.