Jansson`s tempration is an old and good Swedish dish available to all kind of smorgasbord and eaten both at Christmas, Middle summer , but even during the year.Just because it is so good.
And I men GOOOOOOOD.
Smile.If you have hard time to find pickled sprats at your shop, make a trip to visit that huge Swedish furniture store you might have close by.
4 to 6 servings
- Oven to 375°F. Slice the potatoes into 1/4-inch rounds, then cut the rounds into 1/4-inch strips.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a saute pan or skillet over medium flame. Add the onions and saute onions until wilted and translucent but not browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Butter a deep casserole dish on the butter and sides. Layer one third of the potatoes evenly over the bottom of the casserole, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper. Next spread one half of the onions over the potatoes, and half the sprats over the onions, lightly seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Spread another third of the potatoes in the dish, followed by the remaining onions and the rest of the sprats and finishing with the rest of the potatoes, seasoning each layer.
- Bring the cream to a simmer in a saucepan, then pour it evenly into the casserole dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the potatoes. Dot the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over the breadcrumbs.
- Place the casserole on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour, or until the potatoes are cooked through and the dish is browned and bubbling.