" Sjung i kör och håll dig frisk" , is a old proverb here in Sweden which means:
"Sing in a choir and stay healthy."
Sweden is a country of singing people. Around 10% of citizens are singing in choir.
There are choirs in every school, every high school, university. Every town, village. Often, more than one.
In my town, with 200 000 citizens , we have 154 choirs. All amateurs.
The most popular choir from my town is Orphei Drängar (OD).
(only men in this amateur choir.)
This happens in the body when you sing:
- Levels of the hormone oxytocin increases, which means that you become more harmonious and experience the peace and quiet.
- Your blood pressure drops.
- Your immune system is strengthened.
- Your Testosterone levels increase, which has a constructive effect on the tissues of the body.
- The amount of fibrinogen, the protein that makes blood clotting, reduces.
- Your psyche is affected so that you feel strong, happy and full of energy.
Source: The book "Music, Health and Wellbeing" written by the German scholar Gunter Kreutz, Christina Grapes studies "Does Singing Promote Well-Being" and "Magmunnarna - backing vocals for IBS patients."
Welcome to Sweden.