Tuesday 1 December 2015

Ängel på sjunde trappsteget

Advent, day 3

As much as Mondays are music days., Tuesdays will be  " Book or Poetry" days.

I remember, like it was yesterday.
In the newspaper, I saw an ad about a book and somehow, I became so fascinated, not by the ad itself, but by title and the cover of the book, that I decided right there: "I just have to read this book. "

I think it was book`s title in combination with it's  cover, that made me so curious.
On the cover was a little, boy. and the tittle in Swedish was :
"Ängel on tredje trapsteget." ( Angel on the third step). In English the title is Angela`s Ashes.

I actually read it and I wasn't disappointed. The book has become one of those books  that left an imprint in my soul. (who have been shaking up me). I was thinking about it a many weeks after I finished it, and  I reread it many times.

Frank McCourt says: ..
" When I look back on my childhood, I'm amazed that I survived,  I came through it alive.
It was, of course, a miserable childhood: the happy childhood is hardly worth any interest. Worse than a normal miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood. "



Frank McCourt makes this a sensational debut with an autobiographical novel about his Irish childhood. He was born in 1930 of Irish parents in New York and spent his first four years of life, before the family of the family deported back to Ireland, and Limerick. He grew up in unimaginable poverty and misery, but if he tells us with such warmth and humour that the reader becomes completely captivated and to admire this Little survivor ability to enjoy the happy moments in life.

For '' Angela's Ashes' Frank McCourt among others, was awarded the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Critics Circle Award and the American bookseller's top prize.




Other books by Frank McCourt:
'Tis (1999),
Teacher Man (2005) 


See you,
Angelzuz